Re: [buckminster-dev] some buckminster questions

Hi Thomas,

On 12/7/05, Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Knut,
> Some answers inlined.
>
> > - Why is this following entry duplicated in the rmap? <rm:locator
> > searchPathRef="org.eclipse.buckminster"
> > pattern="^org\.eclipse\.buckminster(\..+)?" />
> >
> Oops. That's an error. Probably caused by a merge. It's been removed now.

OK. Was afraid I'd missed something.

> > - It would be cool if the materialization could be run in the background :-)
> >
> Yes, I agree. There's a problem with that however. I haven't managed to figure out how to
> turn off the Eclipse builder during that time and it's essential that it doesn't kick in
> since it will create classpath containers etc. automatically and prematurely (i.e. before
> everything has reached the final location). It kicks in automatically every now and then as
> soon as something has changed in the workspace, even if I explicitly tell it not to. I
> traced the reason to a timer that, regardless of how locking is performed, will remove the
> lock and send change events. I brought this issue up on the Eclipse platform mailing list a
> while back:

> Any input is of course greatly appreciated.

I can only say that the CVS checkout from the CVS Repository Exploring
perspective seems to handle this somehow. Building doesn't kick in
until all projects have been checked out.

> > - It would be nice if the reference guide pages (linked to from user
> > guide) were included in the help index.
> >
> They will be eventually. The plan right now is to first put the documentation up on the
> Eclipse Wiki and then work with it there until we are happy with the content and structure.
> That way it will be very easy to collaborate and involve others. Perhaps you'd like to help out?

I'm not sure in what ways I'll be able to help out, but I can try. A
wiki is IMHO always a good collaboration tool.

> > - I don't quite understand how these two documents relate to each
> > other. The aspec documents seems to be a copy of cspec with some parts
> > ripped out and some parts replaced. Is the idea that a CSpec
> > eventually will contain an ASpec plus dependencies?
> >
> The cspec will be the logical view that will comprise all info although there never will be
> such an artifact. The current cspec will be replaced by a file that only contains the
> dependencies. We haven't decided on the final name yet but perhaps 'dspec' will be it. The
> thesis is that while it's often easy to derive all dependencies from existing project
> meta-data (such as the plugin manifest or a maven pom file), there's almost never
> information present that would allow you to do the same for actions. Especially if those
> actions in turn are what triggers the dependencies. We also feel that the aspec can be
> optional. If all you want is a dependency graph without respect to actions or purpose, then
> you should be allowed to do that.

I don't think I understand all the details of this just yet. But I
think it all sounds very good.

So the 'dspec' file would be used for components not using any other
project meta-data (e.g. a Eclipse plugin manifest)?

> > - How are the usages of one component going to be lined up with the
> > purposes of external requirements in other components?
> >
> It's a one to one mapping.

OK. Then this seems to be similar to the 'configuration' construct in
Ivy (http://www.jayasoft.fr/org/modules/ivy/). I was thinking that the
usages of a component would not only be there to reflect /how/ the
component should be used, but also to some extent /what/ part of that
component should be used. But I assume that should also be possible.

> > - Do you already know when the new work on actions, requirements, and
> > usages is going to be available? I couldn't find a project plan or
> > requirements list online.
> >
> Not at present no. We are working on a more detailed plan. A rough guess would be that we
> will have M3 ready sometime end of Q1 or beginning of Q2 next year. M3 will contain more
> elaborated docs and the aspec stuff.

Sounds promising!

Regards,

--knut