[bpel-dev] question about auto generating WSDL from BPEL definition

Dear friends,

When I actually try to make a BPEL file/definition and execute it, I found an interesting
question. There seems a top level wrapper client web service to invoke/instantiate the BPEL
process. The BPEL process will receive from and reply to this wrapper client web service. This
wrapper client web service represents the BPEL process, e.g, the client web service actually is
the BPEL process since BPEL process itself is a standard web service.

My question is if there is a way to automatically generate this wrapper client web service from
the BPEL file? I tried several BPEL editors including NetBeans, Eclipse BPEL, ActiveBPEL. None of
them can automatically generate this wrapper client web service. Besides, it seems that the common
BPEL development approach is first make the WSDL representing the BPEL process, which will be the
wrapper client web service's WSDL. Then actually implementing the real BPEL process through BPEL
editor.

In my opinion, it seems not very difficult to automatically generate this client WSDL from the
BPEL definition. Basically, there are three things to specify in this client WSDL: (1). operation
name. (2) input message. (3) output message. The operation name can be arbitrary. The input
message will correspond to the first "receive" activity in the BPEL definition. The output message
will correspond to the last "reply" activity. (If the first element after "start" is a "flow", and
each branch has a "receive" with "instantiate=yes", then the WSDL input will include several
parts, each part corresponds to a branch's "receive". Similar handling for multip "reply"
activities.) Please correct me if I miss something here or anything wrong in my understanding.

The reason why I want to automatically generate this client WSDL from the BPEL definition is that
it will be hard for non-cs users to manually generate this WSDL, while supposely the BPEL editor
is simpler enough for them to generate the BPEL definition. Besides, this client WSDL will change
according to the definition of BPEL, it will be much better/convenient for the user to
automatically generate the client WSDL from the BPEL definition.

Any hint/suggestions will be great appreciated!
Sammy

Be a better friend, newshound, and