[bpel-dev] Code.jar

Hello.  I am trying to repackage portions of the Eclipse BPEL Editor within
an RCP application.  One obstacle I am facing is the packaging of the BPEL
plug-ins.  Most of them are bundled as JARs that contain a 2nd JAR file
(code.jar).  I believe this is sometimes called "bundling by wrapping."  The
problem is that I have been unable to compile or run my own plug-ins against
the BPEL plug-ins.

I might be missing something, but much of the documentation I have found on
plug-in development indicates that this bundling scheme can be problematic.
Here is a passage from an RCP book I have:

"It is technically possible to run a JAR'd plug-in that has nested JARs on
the classpath.  Such nested JARs are automatically extracted and cached by
the OSGi framework.  As noted earlier, this effectively duplicates the
amount of disk space required for the plug-in.  More significantly, however,
the tooling (both PDE and JDT) is unable to manage classpaths that include
nested JARs.  The net result is that while your plug-in runs, it takes more
space and others cannot compile against it."

Can someone on the list provide some insight as to why the BPEL plug-ins are
bundled like this?  Any work-arounds or suggestions for my predicament?

Thank you.
-Jon

Back to the top