Re: [bpel-dev] Validation hooks dilema

One thing that crossed my mind here is :

could you try to use EMF EObjets to correlate , instead of using line
numbers ?

Cheers
Simon

 Simon Moser, M.Eng.            Mail:          IBM Deutschland
                                smoser@xxxxxx  Entwicklung GmbH
 Team Lead BPEL Editor /        .com           Vorsitzender des
 Websphere Integration          Phone:         Aufsichtsrats: Johann
 Developer                      +49-7031-16-4  Weihen
 Dept. 4722, Bldg. 71032-01,    304            Geschäftsführung: Herbert
 Room 086                       Fax:           Kircher
 Websphere Solutions and        +49-7031-16-4  Sitz der Gesellschaft:
 Services                       890            Böblingen
 IBM Deutschland Entwicklung                   Registergericht:
 GmbH                                          Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB
 Schönaicherstr. 220, D –                      243294
 71032 Boeblingen

             Michal
             Chmielewski
             <michal.chmielews                                          To
             ki@xxxxxxxxxx>            "BPEL Designer project developer
             Sent by:                  discussions."
             bpel-dev-bounces@         <bpel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             eclipse.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/14/2007 10:22          [bpel-dev] Validation hooks dilema
             PM

             Please respond to
              "BPEL Designer
             project developer
               discussions."
             <bpel-dev@eclipse
                   .org>

I am gonna send this to the WST group as well, but I figured I'll ask it
here first ...

I am trying to add the validation hooks into Eclipse for BPEL. There are
2 choices:

1) Adding a builder that calls the validator, then creates markers from
the generated errors.
2) Adding a validator using the wst extension points.

I've done both methods, and this is what irks me about them:

1) If just a builder, I have full control over how I map the errors
generated from the validator onto markers. I can adapt a problem
instance into a marker and do the appropriate mappings myself (line no,
offsets, text, etc). This works well pretty well. The only issue is that
there is no way to associate the builder automagically to the project
from the eclipse UI. You can put the builder in the project during
project creation,  but there is no other that I can find.

2) If use the WST extension point for the validators (much the same way
HTML, XML, WSDL, etc) validators are done, then there is a UI and a
"Validate" action that can be chosen from the popup menu when you are
editing a resource of the right type (*.bpel). However, the validation
extension point essentially captures the errors my adding instances of
IMessage to IReporter. The problem is that under the covers, when
IMessage is added the IReporter, the markers are created for the
resource. And I don't seem to have a way of mapping (adapting)  IMessage
to IMarker for example. I found out that line numbers are present OK,
but offsets are somehow not correctly placed in the markers from
IMessage (they markers don't hilite the error if you will). Not to
mention any other "attributes" that I might want to store in the markers
(such as model addresses for example).

Any input ?

--
Michal Chmielewski, CMTS, Oracle Corp,
W:650-506-5952 / M:408-209-9321

"Manuals ?! What manuals ? Son, it's Unix, you just gotta know."