RE: [bpel-dev] RE: org.eclipse.bpel.runtimes

Hi Robert,

The runtimes plug-in is by no means just for use by one particular runtime and jBPM will only be one of many BPEL engines making us of this framework.

Its main functionality is:

-          allow users to associate a BPEL 2.0 facet with their projects

-          discovery of BPEL modules (currently BPEL processes and soon BPEL projects) in the workspace

-          enable publishing of BPEL modules onto a suitable runtime

-          provide utility methods for use by actual runtimes (though haven’t found much use for that yet)

There are a few bug fixes that will be finished by the end of this week. I will then also make available, as an example, some code and brief documentation of how the ActiveBPEL 2.1 engine has been integrated with org.eclipse.bpel.runtimes. This should make it very clear what Apache Ode and others need to do to make use of the framework.

Basically, a user selects modules to be added to a particular suitable runtime. When a user then chooses to publish to this runtime, the org.eclipse.runtimes plug-in passes the selected modules to whatever runtime plug-in (i.e. jBPM, Ode…), which is then responsible for packaging the BPEL process up in a suitable deployment descriptor, etc. etc.

I am going to announce availability of bug fixes and examples on this mailing list of the next two weeks.

Hope this clarifies things for now,

-- Bruno