[bpel-dev] Re: BPEL Designer questions followup

Hello Robert,

Sorry for the delay, I've been on vacation.

The items you mention are certainly important ones. In the near term, as we focus on a 1.0 release specifically, I'd address these items as follows:

* Complete support for BPEL 2.0 is a must-have. The BPEL specification in OASIS looks to me like it's currently slated to start public review on Aug. 22, finishing on Oct. 21, so provided no major earth-shattering changes occur as part of the public review this shouldn't have too big an impact on the project. There are a number of OASIS items that have already been implemented in either the model, the editor or both. That said, there is still lots of work to do on the remaining items.

* Just a quick word about deployment to runtime. The goals of the project in this area are: (1) to develop a generalized framework that allows for deployment to any supported runtime, and which allows adapters for specific runtimes to be written and plugged in, and (2) to develop one particular adapter for a chosen reference runtime, in order to validate the design of the framework and allow for out-of-the-box fun. With respect to the chosen reference runtime, I think it's important that it supports the 2.0 specification (or will support it by the time this project reaches 1.0). However, from my point of view, I don't think we all need to agree on a single runtime. Bruno and his folks are interested in ActiveBPEL; the JBoss folks are obviously interested in theirs. Apache agila has been mentioned along with others. That is to say, anyone is free to write adapters for any runtime (open source or not) that they wish. As for whether this adapter will be hosted by this project (i.e. stored in our CVS repository), it would only be appropriate to do so if that runtime is open source (and with a license that makes it legal for us to distribute the adapter which talks to it). I think that having people writing multiple adapters will only serve to strengthen the design of the runtime framework, and if you are interested in contributing resources towards (1) helping with the design of the framework, and (2) writing the adapter for Ode in particular, that would be fantastic.

* The 1.0 release will be based on Eclipse 3.2 (or, after appropriate discussion, on any 3.2.x fix packs that arrive before we ship).

After we deliver the 1.0 release, we'll have to look at the Eclipse 3.3 development plan and see how that fits in with our future plans. Do you have any immediate requirements regarding future Eclipse versions? If so it would be good to discuss them here.

Hope this helps.

james

"Robert Brodt" <rbrodt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 08/03/2006 09:49:37 AM:

> Hello James,
>
> Thanks for your response to my email on the BPEL Designer newsgroup.
> We at Sybase eagerly await the new milestone schedule so that we can
> get you specific requirements and we can determine where we might
> provide additional support.
>
> At a high level, we would like to use the BPEL Designer in our next
> product release currently targeted to Q2'07. We are specially
> interested in the following areas:

>     * Support for BPEL 2.0
>     * Deployment to Reference implementation (we prefer Ode)
>     * Milestones and release synchronization with Eclipse 3.3
>
> Can you provide us any additional information regarding these areas?
>
> Thanks in advance, and we look forward to contributing and helping
> this be a great editor.

Back to the top