Re: [bpel-dev] Adding

Hi Andreas,

Glad my responses were helpful.

First of all, I don't think there is any extensibility currently in the area that you're talking about. In order to understand where this might be added, it's helpful to understand a bit about the GEF edit parts and figures that are involved.

On the canvas there are really two GEF graphical viewers: one for the "main canvas" and one for the tray. (You can see these being created and initialized by BPELEditor). Each of these is seeded with an input; in both cases, this input EObject is the Process. Each of these viewers then creates an EditPart for the input (they get different types of edit parts because each viewer has a different factory). In the case of the "main canvas", this edit part controls the drawing and interaction of the entire canvas (not just the area where the activities are actually drawn). This class is ProcessEditPart. One of the responsibilities of an edit part is to understand how to deal with interaction, whether that is keyboard, mouse movement or hovering, etc. Typically, edit policies are installed by the edit part to handle these types of interaction.

With that background out of the way (apologies if you already know the above...), what you're really asking for is a way to modify the way that ProcessEditPart works such that (a) it appears to have extra children, and (b) draws and lays itself out differently. It might be helpful for me to understand exactly what these objects are that you're trying to add - what I'm getting at is whether you're really trying to add new model extensions to the process, or whether you simply want to have new figures and graphical behaviour on the canvas - one doesn't necessarily imply the other.

james