Re: [bpel-dev] BPEL Project questions

Hello Bob,

I'm the co-lead of the project from the IBM side  - welcome!

bpel-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/13/2006 04:59:56 PM:

> Hi All!

> Sybase is interested in BPEL Designer project and is prepared to
> lend a hand in designing/developing the project to ensure its
> success. I  will be the primary contact from Sybase side to keep my
> finger on the pulse, but I'm still getting my feet wet with BPEL so
> please forgive me if some of my questions appear naive.  I would
> like to pose following questions/issues to the BPEL Designer project team:

> 1. I'm sure there are still lots of BPEL engines out there that are
> not yet 2.0 compliant (whatever THAT means!) and probably won't be
> even after Oasis has finalized the 2.0 spec. Are there plans to
> support BPEL 1.1 as well as 2.0? I understand that one of the
> milestone goals is to maintain the internal DOM in parallel with the
> BPEL EMF model. It seems like a simple matter to swap out the 2.0
> model with the 1.1 model (I'm sure that code is still lying around
> somewhere, yes?) and generate/consume 1.1 instead of 2.0 BPEL. Was
> this the intent of maintaining the DOM?

The current milestone plan calls only for working toward a 2.0-compliant model and editor. We don't anticipate having backwards reading capability for 1.1. There are so many syntactic changes due to OASIS issues that this simply wouldn't be practical, especially around the area of extensibility, etc.

The item that you mention, about maintaining the DOM tree, works like this. Currently the model (in BPELReader) creates the DOM tree (the easy part - just run it through the XML parser), and then walks the DOM tree and creates BPEL EMF objects (starting with an org.eclipse.bpel.model.Process as the root). It then throws out the DOM tree. When writing, it takes the Process EMF model and creates a DOM tree, which it dumps to disk. The problem with this is that any information in the DOM tree which is not reflected in the BPEL EMF model elements (such as indenting, formatting, XML comments, etc) is lost on the next save. We hope to take an approach like the WTP WSDL model, where each EMF model object also holds onto its DOM element. The DOM element is updated as set* methods are called on the EMF object. Conversely, if the DOM element changes, the EMF features become updated to reflect those changes. Therefore, writing is simply a matter of dumping out the DOM tree that already exists, and you don't lose your comments, formatting, etc.

I don't think approach would necessarily help in being able to support 1.1. The EMF model is based on strong typing (i.e. java set and get methods). The namespaces of the two models are different. There are non-trivial changes between 1.1 and 2.0 regarding extensibility, and of course a couple hundred other changes (not all of which affect the model, of course). Basically, this is a non-trivial problem, and we decided up front that we weren't going to aim for this.

Our current status with respect to OASIS can be found here:
http://apps.eclipse.org/bpel_designer/IssuesStatusPage
As you can see from that chart, many OASIS issues have been implemented in the model (but certainly not all), and fewer have been implemented in the UI. Our hope is that as we work towards completion of these items from a model and tooling (and validation) point of view, and as we get closer to the release date, the 2.0 specification will also move to a close, and other runtimes will soon support this standard. As we are a ways off this goal, we definitely have some lead-in time.

I hope this answers your question - if it doesn't, please let me know.

> 2. It seems that JBoss is likely to become the reference runtime,
> yes? Is there any information regarding the debugging APIs (if any)
> that JBoss will provide? What level of debugging is planned for the
> BPEL Editor? Graphical? BPEL Source? (both would be very desirable)

That's certainly a possibility, especially given JBoss' active involvement in this project. Really, however, "reference runtime" means that this will be a runtime for which we provide the "glue" to deployment and debugging - people are free to write and contribute glue for other open source runtimes, of course. Maybe someone who is working on the runtime framework could supply some information on the current thoughts about debugging...

> 3. I know BPEL validation is one area that is still in the design
> phase. Has there been any progress in this area?

There was at one point the idea of a code contribution to kick off this area, but it looks like this will not happen at the moment. Michal and I had a call with Thomas Schulze (an IBMer with BPEL validation experience) in which we fleshed out some of the details of what a validator would look like, the type of extensibility it would support, etc., so from that point of view some initial groundwork and thinking has been done, but there isn't any code at the moment. Michal, if you know anything further about this, please let us know.

> 4. BPEL 2.0 provides limited access to msg headers which typically
> contain security certificates. Can the 1.1 model be extended to
> provide similar functionality?

I'm not familiar with this (but then again I'm not up-to-date with respect to OASIS issues...), do you have an issue number as a reference?

> 5. Will the BPEL project track the eclipse 3.x release train, or is
> it anticipated that platform migration is a lower priority?

The current codebase compiles and runs on the Callisto release train (including Eclipse platform 3.2, and currently-released levels of emf, gef and wtp). That is our target dependency chain for a 1.0 release.

> 6. We have a need to be able to handle DND drops onto the editor
> canvas (as invoked services). Will the BPEL Designer expose an
> extension point to allow this?

Absolutely. For info, we (IBM) also have such a requirement.

> Thanks for your responses. Sybase are willing to make contributions
> to the project in any/all of these areas, so please let me know
> where we can help out!

Thanks. I'm curious - in which specific areas do you have a desire to contribute, or particular expertise that might be valuable? Are there any OASIS issues that aren't implemented which would be valuable to you right away (in which case help there is always welcome...)?

james

Back to the top