Re: [bpel-dev] Show more details

Kevin McGuire wrote:
Hi guys,

Good discussion thread.  We are definitely open to improvements here.

Just recently, James Moody and I were discussing the very same issue about the partner for an invoke/receive/reply not being easely understandable from the diagram alone.   I notice that whenever I try to explain a BPEL process to someone by looking at the editor, I have to rely on either my memory or hints in the activity names.

In a previous incarnation of the editor (in WSAD-IE 5.1) we had an added layer with partner and var lists down the side.  Selecting an invoke would draw a line to the corresponding partner, selecting a partner would show all activities which use it, etc.  That turned out to be, well to be honest, terrible.  The diagram quickly became incomprehensible with these lines all over the place and it was difficult to implement.  So we just backed out of it completely in the new editor.

The concept of connecting activities on the process map to pl elsewhere on the screen (in either swim lanes on the sides, or some partner link place holders on the side  etc) is just too much information. We had played with these concepts too and I think it really does not work, especially once you have big process maps. The end result is that you have top-to-bottom flow and right-to-left invoke/reply/receive "connections". The map starts to look like a mutating virus.

Big process maps are a challenge in themselves as we all know. But that's a general problem with any diagramming tools. As long as you can see "most of" of the process map things are OK. As it gets bigger, you begin to feel as if though you are looking at the Mona Lisa through a key hole. Add the partner link invocation diagramming on top of that and things get much more confusing.

Adding more information on activities in the process map can lead to a Christmas tree effect, especially if you adorn them with icons. So that approach is also a little screwy.

Beyond the things Kevin had mentioned below, I would add the following:

1) Some things that we tried with mixed results are in-map dialogs or alternate views of an activity if you say double click on it. So an Assign, might just list the copy rules, one per line (just a simple list). An Invoke might list the partner links. Not necessarily a full inspector view, but more information that is useful, hidden under a double click.

2) Breaking up complexity of the diagram. There are natural places where things can be broken up in the BPEL diagram. Functionally, a scope might be such a thing (which leads to macros). Exceptions might be another. The idea is that these nodes are not shown inline but rather on a separate "layer".  Perhaps this is something similar as the tabbed approach Kevin mentioned below. Conceptually though, you are really in the single editor window and are just jumping in and out of these view fragments. You obviously allow the user the dictate where to break the diagram (which scopes are inlined for example, and which ones are not).

At the end of the day, I also feel that processes ought to become a first class citizen. Breaking up complexity be refactoring to a process for example, then later having that "process" on a a palette for a quick composition might be a path to making this problem less painful.

-michal

Still, we recognize the need for this information to be part of the diagram.

Some random thoughts:

- A simple solution I suggested was that we print the partner name in the activity itself.

- As for the interface, perhaps the partner list is the place to do that, rather than showing that at the activity level.

- Bruno, we discussed at some point a long time ago a tabbed view approach.  We've generally stayed away from tabbed views in WebSphere Integration Developer (from whence this code came), so that's the history, but its worth considering anew.

- A related issue is one of publishing.  The more you can make the diagram self-explanatory, the easier it is to publish since just printing the diagram is almost enough.

- However, Bruno as you mentioned, a big concern whenever we play with the information shown in the activities is that as the diagram becomes larger it quickly becomes unreadable, especially as you add more and more scopes.  You end up only being able to realistically see a small part.

- We could consider mechanisms for able to optionally show additional information in the activities (e.g. a toggle which shows interfaces), but generally speaking such mechanisms are tricky to pull off that they don't become a burden for the user to manage.

What I'd suggest we do is come up with an initial list of the most important information that one needs to be "evident" in order to understand a BPEL diagram.  Is it just partner?  Is it partner and interface?  Var access?

Cheers,
Kevin McGuire
WID & WSADIE UI Development Lead

Bruno Wassermann <B.Wassermann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: bpel-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/10/2006 07:11 AM

Please respond to
"B.Wassermann" and "BPEL Designer project developer discussions."

"'BPEL Designer project developer discussions.'" <bpel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [bpel-dev] Show more details

Hi,

I would just like to add my two cents to Philipp’s suggestion. Adding information about partners, namespaces, etc. to the process map is a great idea until you get users who develop really large workflows with hundreds of activities and dozens of partners. To cater for such cases, you would need to figure out how to represent this information without leading to a (further) explosion of the graphical representation and making the information easily accessible at the same time; this could be a tough one.

An alternative might be to have a tabbed editor providing an overview page that contains representations about partners, global variables and namespaces. This page can then also allow you to explore each of these elements in more detail. An activity figure or its properties view should then provide you a link to these elements (i.e. partner, variables) for convenience. That’s just one possible idea though and I am sure there are many other ways.

Regards,

-- Bruno