From: Yair Lenga <yair.lenga@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 10/17/22 2:13 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: birt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [birt-dev] Birt support for JSON

Hi,

I have been a long term user of BIRT (from 2002 to 2010), and was forced to move to other solution, as the product went side way under actuate/opentext. Happy to see it coming back, as it was one of my favorite.

One of the major limitation was JSON support.

During Opentext days as BIRT main contributor, a very buggy data source for JSON was introduced. I  I did not look at the current 4.10 version (will do in coming weeks). Does anyone know what is the state of the JSON dara source ? The XML data source was much more powerful (and reliable), and we used to convert json to xml, and generate report.

If the json data source is not usable/abandoned - possible to fix it ? If not, I wonder if possible to clone the XML data source, replace the XML parser with JSON parser. XPATH path with jsonpath, and have a reporting tool capable of connecting with modern rest services. Even if the temporary solution will be to internally convert json to xml it will be a big win.

considering built in _javascript_ with RHINO, will be a big upside.

Yair

Sent from my iPad