[birt-dev] Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, December 18, 2006

Title: Eclipse BIRT PMC Meeting Minutes - Monday, December 18, 2006

Meeting

BIRT PMC, 10am Pacific, Monday, December 18, 2006

Attendees

Wenfeng Li - BIRT PMC Lead - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Paul Clenahan - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Scott Rosenbaum - BIRT PMC - Innovent Solutions (www.innoventsolutions.com)
Jason Weathersby - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation (www.actuate.com)
Mike Fox - BIRT PMC - IBM Corporation (www.ibm.com)

Minutes

Meeting Logistics

Due to the holidays and travel schedules, there will be no BIRT PMC meetings on December 25, January 1, and January 8. We will meet on Tuesday January 9 instead of the 8th.

BIRT 2.1.2 Planning

No change in status this week, aside to note that we assigned and addressed a few more Bugzilla entries in the release. The total number of issues addressed is now 43.

General Information:

BIRT 2.1.2 is the second maintenance release in the BIRT 2.1 release series. This is a maintenance release to address critical bugs identified by the community. BIRT 2.1.2 is part of the Callisto coordinated maintenance release plan (see http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Callisto_Coordinated_Maintenance).

The Development Plan for BIRT 2.1.2 is available on the Eclipse BIRT pages (http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/project_plan_R2_1_2.php).

The release is proceeding on schedule and while the target date for the coordinated release is Feb 2007, the BIRT project team we has resolved all outstanding items for this release at this stage. The development team are now focused on BIRT 2.2 development. While we do not currently anticipate additional work, the 2.1.2 release is not yet final since it is part of the coordinated release and additional issues may be reported from the other projects or community that need to be addressed in 2.1.2 for the Feb coordinated release.

For a list of bugs assigned to the release, refer to Bugzilla: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=BIRT&target_milestone=2.1.2

BIRT 2.2 Planning

We continue to push forward on the research stage of this release, with a number of BIRT Project Specifications (BPS) having been posted on the BIRT Wiki pages.

As previously indicated, not all projects in BIRT 2.2 are committed/staffed yet. While we are still in the process of research to determine project scope and feasibility for the release, we have identified one project that we do not have the resources to address: the XML Output Emitter. We would welcome any proposals from the broader community for assistance in developing this project.

General Information:

The next major release of BIRT is BIRT 2.2, scheduled for June 2007 as part of the Europa Simultaneous Release (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Europa_Simultaneous_Release).

The draft BIRT 2.2 Development Plan has been published for review: http://www.eclipse.org/birt/phoenix/project/project_plan_R2_2_0.php

A number of BIRT Project Specifications (BPS) relating to BIRT 2.2 have been posted on the BIRT Wiki.

EclipseCon 2007 Proposals

The PMC discussed the 2007 EclipseCon submissions today.  The decision deadline for  Long Talks and Panels is January 1, and this was the last chance for the PMC to review the proposed talks.   The PMC evaluated the Program Committee votes, the community votes and the content of the submissions in an effort to select those proposals that will provide the most value to both the Eclipse Reporting community and the greater Eclipse community.

In the Long Talk track we had 10 submissions for 5 slots.  We decided to use the reporting slots for those talks that are focused on Eclipse and open source software development.  Scott R will encourage any of the Long Talk submissions that were rejected to re-submit the talks as short talks.  The PMC agreed on the following Long Talks:

3730 reject Designing and generating output using Scriptura
3746 reject Metrics-Driven Software Development for Eclipse
3748 reject Scalable Vector Graphics: Shaping Up the Web
3797 accept Deploying Eclipse BIRT Report Web Applications using Eclipse WTP
3798 accept Integrating Java code with Eclipse BIRT
3803 accept Overview of Eclipse's Business Intelligence & Reporting Tools (BIRT) Project
3804 accept Charting with Eclipse BIRT
3811 reject BIRT 2.2 Features (Integrate with 3803)
3879 reject Demystify BI - from simple reporting to enterprise wide applications
3884 accept Dynamic BIRT Reporting

The reporting track has been allocated one slot for a Panel discussion.  Given that there were no panel submissions, we considered using the panel as one additional reporting long talk.  In the interest of the larger Eclipse community, and the over-whelming number of very high quality Long Talk submissions, we have decided that it would be better to give the Reporting Panel Discussion slot to the greater community for use in a Long Talk on another subject.

In the demo track space, we have one submission from Business Objects which we feel is appropriate.  We have requested that the proposal change the name of the track to reflect that the presentation is focused on the use of Crystal Reports for Eclipse, a free proprietary piece of software.  The deadline for submissions in this track is January 15th, so we will withhold final decisions until after the deadline.

At this point we have two quality submissions for short talks.  As with the demos, we will wait until after the January 15th submission deadline to make final recommendations on the short talk proposals.

New Committer Nominations Guideline Update

Last week the PMC discussed guidelines for new Committers and we provided some guidelines as part of the meeting minutes. There was some feedback from the community on the wording of the guideline that we agree with. As a result, the updated guideline is (with the change in red):

In the spirit of Meritocracy, a key philosophy of Eclipse, the BIRT PMC want to continue to ensure that only individuals who are very experienced with the BIRT project become Committers for the project. From this perspective, we will be looking for individuals who are nominated for Committer status to have experience with at lease one 2nd digit point release (such as BIRT 2.2) and have made a substantial contribution to the BIRT project. While there may be exceptions from time to time (for example, for new companies joining the project), we will be applying this guideline for new committers going forward.

BIRT Events

The following upcoming events will include talks on BIRT and/or Actuate sponsored BIRT booths:

EclipseCon 2007 on March 5-8, 2007 - Santa Clara, CA - http://www.eclipsecon.org/2007/ - 5 long (1 hour) sessions, 6 short (10 mins) sessions, 1 demo/panel, 2 demos, 1 long (3hrs) tutorials, and 3 short (2hr) tutorials allocated to BIRT.

BIRT Articles

The following articles have recently been published on BIRT:

Eclipse Magazine - December 2006 -  POJO Access Using BIRT by David Trainor and Jason Weathersby - http://www.eclipsemag.net/

Java Developers Journal - October 2006 - Java Feature: Developing an Eclipse BIRT Report Item Extension by Jason Weathersby; Iana Chatalbasheva; Tom Bondur - http://java.sys-con.com/read/286915.htm

Eclipse Magazine - September 2006 - BIRT Reporting Interactivity by David Trainor and Jason Weathersby - http://www.eclipsemag.net/

Eclipse Magazine - August 2006 - Using BIRT 2.1 for Embedded Reporting by Jason Weathersby - http://www.eclipsemag.net/