RE: [birt-charting-dev] Feature 101655 design document

Hi Sheldon,

I have a few questions/comments:

First about the existing API for event handling. Do you believe it should be changed? It seems to me flexible enough to support all the use cases. Maybe I am missing something here, but let me go through this quickly:

We have a InteractionEvent class, that is a link between the action/triggers and the hotspot:

The possible actions are (from the ActionType class)

                                    URL_REDIRECT_LITERAL,

                                    SHOW_TOOLTIP_LITERAL,

                                    TOGGLE_VISIBILITY_LITERAL,

                                    INVOKE_SCRIPT_LITERAL,

The invokeScript seems fit for custom scripting you mention. Then it’s up to the device renderer to interpret the script. In SVG, it would be some _javascript_ that can either modify the chart on the client-side, either send a request to the server. I would propose to only support custom scripting in SVG for now. We probably need to improve the engine integration with an imagemap to support other actions in static images.

For the extension point proposal, if I understand correctly you would like to support more types of actions through an extension mechanism instead of modifying the chart model?

Regarding the server side support, I think the cleanest approach is to have a web services interface. This can be easily implemented in any known technology (php, servlets,…) and is a standard way of accessing an API through HTTP. Then we’ll have to implement a _javascript_ web services client, at least for the SVG output, that is able to request a new chart generation from the engine. We certainly can discuss more on that point.

Making abstraction of the design, do you have any other requirements than the use cases, that we need to take into account for the functional specifications? We probably can add built-in support for a few of them.

Besides those, I would also propose to add Zoom and 3D rotation support in SVG through predefined _javascript_ functions. For server side scripting, scale change might be an interesting feature as well

Thanks,

David

.