Eclipse Babel Project Lead
IBM Eclipse SDK (IES) Globalization Technical Lead
IBM Rational solution for Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM) Globalization Technical Lead

Inactive hide details for Denis Roy ---07/26/2012 08:39:30 AM---Kit, Now that you've got the Juno language packs out the door (Denis Roy ---07/26/2012 08:39:30 AM---Kit, Now that you've got the Juno language packs out the door (thank you) I

From: Denis Roy <denis.roy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/26/2012 08:39 AM
Subject: [babel-dev] Time to move to Git
Sent by: babel-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Kit,

Now that you've got the Juno language packs out the door (thank you) I
think now is a great time to move the Babel source repo to Git, since
the Eclipse Foundation is disabling CVS in December.

We have some basic Git information here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Git

And the migration guide is here:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Git/Migrating_to_Git

In short, all we need to do is install EGit for Git integration in
Eclipse.  Conceptually, with Git, each local workstation has a complete
copy (clone) of a Git repo.  You commit changes into your local
repository, then push an entire changeset to git.eclipse.org. In other
words, a commit is no longer a remote operation.

I was thinking of creating 2 repos for babel:

org.eclipse.babel.server.git --> our PHP server code
org.eclipse.babel.plugins.git --> the RBE and other plugins

I can perform a sandbox migration in a set of test repos, then we can
work out the workflow in the sandbox.  Once we're comfortable, I can
then start over, re-import into the real repos and make our CVS repo
read-only.

FWIW, we will have to install Git on the Babel server and tweak our
release process.

Does this plan seem reasonable?

Denis