Re: [auto-iwg] Eclipse IDE for Automotive Software Developers

Hallo Stephan, Hello All,

regarding 3/ in the past we practiced to maintain two variants of our local Eclipse platform:

SDK) With SDK and help for all packages for use by Eclipse component developers.
RT)  (runtime) Without SDK and without help for usage in build and deployment.

It would be most useful for Bosch to have both variants available. Otherwise we might opt for creating the other variant by ourselves with the risk of inconsistencies (and always requiring additional efforts).

>From our point of view a compromise, where the sdk is only added to a few packages won't really help us. We need all or nothing depending on the purpose, for what we use the distribution.

Any comments welcome.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Martin Burkhardt

Robert Bosch GmbH
Cross Divisional Group - Software, Methods and Tools, Engineering Methods and Tools IDE  (CDG-SMT/EMT6)
Postfach 30 02 40
70442 Stuttgart
GERMANY
www.bosch.com

Tel. ++49 (711) 811 - 461 36

Sitz: Stuttgart, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14000;
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Hermann Scholl; Geschäftsführung: Franz Fehrenbach, Siegfried Dais;
Stefan Asenkerschbaumer, Bernd Bohr, Rudolf Colm, Volkmar Denner, Christoph Kübel, Uwe Raschke,
Wolf-Henning Scheider, Werner Struth, Peter Tyroller

> 3/ Reduce the package size
>
> Currently, we are at 329MB which makes the automotive package
> the biggest among all others. The reason is that we have
> chosen to include the SDKs of nearly all components (which
> include their sources and developer documentation) instead of
> taking only the runtimes. While this makes sense in target
> platforms used by automotive tool developers it makes less
> sense in Eclipse installations used by automotive software
> developers. The former need the sources and documentation so
> that they can better develop their own tool plug-ins but the
> latter don't because they usually do not aim at extending
> Eclipse but just use it to work on other things (embedded ECU
> oftware). For this reason Eclipse packages do normally not
> include any SDKs (but just runtimes) or the SDKs of some
> selected components only (e.g., Eclipse Modeling Tools).
>
> To fix this issue, I'd like to ask you to share your opinion
> regarding this aspect. The question is, do we need any SDKs
> in the Eclipse IDE for Automotive Software Developers or no
> such at all? If so, for which components of the current
> package definition [2] would you like to have sources and
> developer documentation at hand?
>
> My idea is to collect you opinions, document them on the wiki
> page, and submit our changes to the EPP project for the Juno
> M7 milestone. According to the Juno simultaneous release plan
> [3] we have until May 11 to come to a reasonable conclusion.

Back to the top