Re: [atf-dev] Browser Window is always disabled when suspended at a js breakpoint

Bob,

Thanks for replying on this subject.  I was specifically referring to where the nsIBaseWindow is disabled below:

Snippet taken from org.eclipse.atf.mozilla.ide.debug.internal.model.JSDebugThread.java lines 482-489.  This happens in the "onExecute" hook function.
nsIBaseWindow window = (nsIBaseWindow)getDebugTarget().getProcess().getAdapter(nsIBaseWindow.class);
try {
    // Prevent user from taking further actions within the browser while suspended
    window.setEnabled(false);
} catch (XPCOMException xpcome) {
    if (xpcome.errorcode != Mozilla.NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)
        throw xpcome;
}

This is the code I'm referring too which will disable the Browsre window that the currently paused _javascript_ thread is executing in.  If I simply comment out that line, then the browser works as expected.  So it seems that a deliberate decision was made to "turn off" the browser window where the current _javascript_ debugger is suspended at.

Any thoughts?  I think my 2 questions that I posted before will make more sense now if you look at that snippet I posted.

Thanks for your response,
Greg

ATF isn't doing anything to disable the other browser. The behavior you described seems to be a limitation of the Mozilla debug interface and the fact that everything  in eclipse is running in the same process. We have tried to work around the problem but don't have a solution yet. The hang is occurring in the XULRunner browser. One of the thing we want to do, but haven't had time is pull XULRunner into the c debugger and see if we can find why the hang is occurring. This may gives us some hints on how to work around the problem.

   Thanks
     Bob

Robert Goodman
goodmanr@xxxxxxxxxx

"Greg Amerson" <gamerson@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: atf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/23/2007 12:47 PM

Please respond to
AJAX Toolkit Framework discussion <atf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

atf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[atf-dev] Browser Window is always disabled when suspended at a js        breakpoint

Hello,

Nice job on the current _javascript_ debugger implementation.  Its been awhile since I have looked at it and it now has some really nice stuff in there.  I've been getting up-to-speed with how it interacts with the Mozilla browser when stepping through _javascript_ code.  One thing I noticed is that when you are suspended at a _javascript_ breakpoint, all user-input is disabled for the associated browser window.  I found this in the code at JSDebugThread.java line 485.  In a comment it states that the user is being prevented from further actions within the browser while suspended.

There are 2 questions that I have regarding this behavior, that I would like some feedback on:

1.        What was the reasoning or what discussion led to this policy decision of always disabling the browser window?

2.        Are there any other factors in the _javascript_ debugger that make the window browser being disabled a requirement?
One reason I asked #2 is because, lets say, that I wanted to change it so the browser window is always enabled.  Would there be any side-effects or other consequences of that choice?

Thanks again guys for making this _javascript_ debugger implementation available for us to have these discussions.  I appreciate any response.

Greg