[aspectj-users] AJDT and memory

Hi,

Under bug 278496 I've gradually been working on this, the idea is to
reduce the memory used for compile-time weaving in AJDT, using
something similar to the strategy I used to reduce memory for Loadtime
weaving.

The latest AJDT dev builds now include the first pass at these
changes.  You need to 'turn them on' as I don't want them default
until I get some feedback on whether they behave.

To configure them, open your project properties, go to AspectJ
compiler, then scroll down to the bottom of the options panel and in
the 'other' section in the free form text field enter:

-Xset:minimalModel=true,typeDemotion=true

Then work as normal.  I'm interested in whether:
- you see a noticeable reduction in heap usage (maybe turn on the
eclipse heap status monitor under Window>Preferences>General)
- you see a change in performance.  With the more eager eviction model
these options employ, there may be more messing around to compile
stuff  (probably only noticeable on full builds)
- it breaks !

thanks for any feedback,
Andy

Back to the top