Re: [aspectj-users] AspectJ wiki pages (was: Best practices in optimization)

Thanks for kicking this off Simone.  I'll comment when I can and maybe
once I get the timers in place properly we can include a suitable
diagnostic section related to them.

To answer some of Bepis questions:

>> I haven't understood if the include clause in aop.xml have influence
>> inside eclipse. Can it help?
Support for aop.xml configuration in the IDE (eclipse) for compilation
is in the very early stages.  It is more for helping you get your
aop.xml right rather than trying to make weaving faster.  The include
clause in there will currently not be respected for ITDs, but only for
advice (as this is a work in progress).  But really an include clause
is just another way to write a within() pointcut.

>> Then I have used the within in joinpoint definition but it seems to me
>> that the building times are the same.

that is what I would expect

>> I have used also the withincode. It can help?

I don't believe it implements fastMatch - but I think it probably
could.  I'd imagine withincode making a difference if you are matching
a lot of call joinpoints.

>> While building I see the names of the classes woven. I see many names that
>> apparently should not be interested by my aspects.

What you see is a message that says "woven X" - this means it has been
through the weaver, it does not mean the type was changed at all.  I
really should change that message as it gives the wrong impression.  A
suitable within() clause will have caused the weaver to return
immediately and not change the type.  Whether it actually got modified
is reflected in weave info messages and the advice markers you see
after compilation.

>> Then I'm asking to myself: maybe I must consider some other settings?
>> I begun the thread with these questions in my mind.

Always try to include a scoping pointcut if possible, they are cheaper
to evaluate even thought they don't all implement fast match (yet).

Andy