Re: [aspectj-users] automatic comments at selected joinpoints

Hi Marcel,
AspectJ does not touch the java source code, it acts on .class files directly. In fact, it does not need source files of the classes it is weaving at all, so it cannot add comments to it. Moreover, it could easily become a mess adding and removing comments, causing svn commits on files which haven't been modified and so on.

What you can do is save in a file the output of the weaving, which tells you which advices are applied to which join points in code, or save the ajsym file that contains a java serialized version of such informations. Both are generated by ajc using build parameters.

I do admit that, if not using eclipse, it's not easy to understand that a certain point in code is being adviced by some aspects. But it should be that way : the aspect should be "transparent", be "one aspect", and let the programmer free to code without having to worry about which aspects are doing what somewhere in the code.

Hope this helps clarify,
Simone

Marcel Schiffel wrote:
No, I think there should (optionally) just be a small notice at certain places in the java source files, indicating that a pointcut might apply to these points. Without any comment (or a visual aid from the IDE) the reader of plain java files might forget that additional code might be woven it at that places and misinterprets the source code.