From: aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:aspectj-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wes Isberg
Sent: 04 June 2003 02:25
To: aspectj-users@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [aspectj-users] AOP patent question

fyi, Jim Hugunin's 3/20/2003 reply to "Patent on AOP/AspectJ?" was this:

------
PARC's goal in releasing AspectJ in Open Source form on eclipse.org is
to ensure that the community can continue to use and develop AspectJ.
We believe that the Common Public License (CPL) used by eclipse is an
effective way to do this.  By contributing the AspectJ source code under

the CPL, PARC also licenses any relevant patents under the terms of the
CPL.

If you want a non-legalese description of what the terms of the CPL are,

I'd recommend reading the eclipse legal FAQ
(http://eclipse.org/legal/legalfaq.html).  Here's what that FAQ says
about patents, "Under the CPL, each Contributor grants rights to create
derivative works and for worldwide, royalty-free software redistribution

in accordance with the CPL terms, including a royalty-free license to
use Contributor's patents as embodied in its contributions."

------

Wes

Lesiecki Nicholas wrote:

> I asked this same question a while ago. Search the mailing list for
the
> details, but the gist was: "don't worry about it."
>
> (IANAL),
> Nick
> --- Jim Z <otugbox@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>There is a patent on AOP, see

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=
/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=5&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=aspect-oriente
d&OS=aspect-oriented&RS=aspect-oriented

>>Does anyone have any guidelines as to how one can reasonably use
AspectJ