Re: [aspectj-users] Drawbacks of AOP

On Monday 21 April 2003 18:17, John Rayburn wrote:
> > But the problem here is that the deployment descriptor/ejb container
> > approach to transactions is very specific and binds my transaction
>
> service
>
> > to a very specific specification. What if I want to produce a
>
> container that
>
> > can use different "plug-in" declarative services? Ask anyone that
>
> works with
>
> > HIPPA in security or web services with transactions as to why.
>
> However, this is not always a requirement for a project, so both ways
> (descriptor/container vs AspectJ) scale differently, and per project
> this would be a decision that would be made by the team.

Here is the first big difference. Assuming you have a container approach, all
this decisions have to be done quite early in the design phase and you have
to live with all the policies/constraints of the container. Changing one is
pretty hard if even possible.
In the aspect solution it is pretty easy. Just changing one simple aspect.

> They both
> provide solutions to implementing aspect oriented cross-cutting
> concerns...

That is wrong. Correct is:
They both provide solutions to implementing THE CONCERN TRANSACTIONHANDLING,
PERSITENCY, ... .