Re: [aspectj-users] redistribution of woven third-party jars

"Tim" == Tim Peierls <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

	Tim> For example, if I weave a logging aspect into the Java Mail jar,
	Tim> is distribution of the resulting jar a violation of clause 2(i) of
	Tim> the Java Mail 1.3 Supplemental License Terms?
	Tim>
	Tim>     Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited
	Tim>     license to reproduce and distribute the Software in binary
	Tim>     code form only, provided that (i) you distribute the Software
	Tim>     complete and unmodified and only bundled as part of, and for
	Tim>     the sole purpose of running, your Java applets or applications
	Tim>     ("Programs") ...

IANAL, but it seems straightforward to me that distributing a modified jar
would be in violation of clause (i).

Distributing an unmodified jar along with code/tools that perform user-site
(e.g., load-time) modification of the code, however, would seem to be within
the letter of the license terms you quote.

Eric.

Eric Eide <eeide@xxxxxxxxxxx>  .         University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX

Back to the top