[aspectj-users] redistribution of woven third-party jars

Has anyone explored the legal issues surrounding "woven" versions of third-party
jars with licenses that restrict redistribution? For example, if I weave a logging
aspect into the Java Mail jar, is distribution of the resulting jar a violation
of clause 2(i) of the Java Mail 1.3 Supplemental License Terms?

    Sun grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to reproduce
    and distribute the Software in binary code form only, provided that (i) you
    distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as part of,
    and for the sole purpose of running, your Java applets or applications ("Programs")

I have a dim memory of something like this being discussed in the earlier incarnation
of this list, but I can't find it in the archives.

--tim

Back to the top