[aspectj-dev] Are you getting OutOfMemory Permgen errors?

I'm interested in any users that are currently seeing this and would
like to help me investigate it?  Non of my test scenarios have caused
it to occur.  If you are able to easily reproduce it, could you
possibly put this in your "non standard compiler options" box (first
page of AspectJ project properties) does it make any difference at
all? (You should probably restart eclipse after doing this to clear
everything out)

-Xset:activateLightweightDelegates=false

I'm not investigating regular OOM problems, just the PermGen one - we
know we still spike in terms of memory required (see
http://www.eclipse.org/ajdt/whatsnew131/ )and that is being addressed
by a separate piece of work.  I just want to get to the bottom of the
PermGen thing.

If you are able to easily recreate it, can you answer (I already have
Jeppe Cramon's answers to these I think):

- If you have multiple aspectj projects in the workspace is it just
one single large project that is causing the problem.  i.e. can you
close all the others, *restart eclipse* and you still see OOM permgen?

- How big is the project causing the problem: roughly how many files?
Does it depend on lots of other jars for types?

- Are you running with other eclipse plugins? WTP, MyEclipse stuff?
anything else?

I've googled a bit on permgen and do find it talked about in terms of
WTP/tomcat/MyEclipse.  Given that permgen space is for class metadata,
I'm a little confused as how it can be AJ's fault right now, we don't
spawn funky classloaders during compilation that would cause extra
metadata to hang around, and we don't do class reloading.  I did read
that actively debugging code can sometimes get into this situation as
that does some reloading at times - has anyone noticed this OOM:
permgen happening only after a period of debugging?

Andy.

Back to the top