Re: [aspectj-dev] Annotation pointcut

> Correct, and now I understand also my misunderstanding with my first
> variant - I didn't realized that it is interpreted as return type. But
> when I tried
>
> after(Object x) : execution((@Alien *) Passenger+.new(..)) && this(x)
>
> it compiles (I want to hit all Passenger subclasses with an @Alien
> annotation). It is similar to the first example (that with the syntax
> error) but does not work as I expected. Now, if I understand you correct
> the (@Alien *) here is standing for the return type -- but then it
> shouldn't compile (a constructor has no return type, as you mentioned
> correctly)?!?

This was a parser bug. The CVS head version will report:

after(Object x) : execution((@Alien *) Passenger+.new(..)) && this(x)
                                                  ^^^
Syntax error on token "new", "method name (not constructor)" expected

This fix will be included in the next published developer build.

-- Adrian
Adrian_Colyer@xxxxxxxxxx

"Oli B." <boehm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/03/2005 21:18

Please respond to
aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject

Andrew Clement wrote:

> That is aspectj working as designed.  Constructor patterns really have
> no return
> type and if you specify one you get an error.   What would you be trying to
> say with the first variant?  That a constructor returns an @Alien
> annotated instance?
> The second variant says execution of a constructor on an @Alien
> annotated type -
> I guess thats what you want.

Correct, and now I understand also my misunderstanding with my first
variant - I didn't realized that it is interpreted as return type. But
when I tried

after(Object x) : execution((@Alien *) Passenger+.new(..)) && this(x)

it compiles (I want to hit all Passenger subclasses with an @Alien
annotation). It is similar to the first example (that with the syntax
error) but does not work as I expected. Now, if I understand you correct
the (@Alien *) here is standing for the return type -- but then it
shouldn't compile (a constructor has no return type, as you mentioned
correctly)?!?

regards
Oliver

> Andy.
>

> *"Oli B." <boehm@xxxxxxxxxx>*
> Sent by: aspectj-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 08/03/2005 21:46
> Please respond to
> aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

>                  aspectj-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> cc
>
> Subject
>                  [aspectj-dev] Annotation pointcut
>

> Hello,
>
> i want to hit all constructors of classes with an @Alien annotation:
>
>                 after(Object x) : execution((@Alien *) *.new(..)) &&
> this(x) {
>
> The result of this pointcut is a 'Syntax error on token "(",
> "constructor patterns have no return type" expected'. When I modify it a
> little bit to
>
>                 after(Object x) : execution((@Alien *).new(..)) && this(x) {
>
> it works as expected. The only difference is the missing 2nd "*" in
> ((@Alien *) *.new(..)) from the first try. Is it a bug (build
> 20050225125806) or a misunderstanding from me?
>
> regards
> Oliver
> --
> Oliver Böhm