[aspectj-dev] can't find type XXX when binary weaving

It is possible to use "within(my.class)", "within(my.package..*)" or
"!within(exclude.pakage)" to scope a binary weave. However this technique
does not work if a class has a hierarchy dependency e.g. superclass on a
type that is not on the classpath You get a "can't find type ..." error. It
is not uncommon for applications to contain classes that cannot be resolved
due to external dependencies that were available during compile but not
during execution e.g. secure socket factories on AXIS (these can be
excluded as they have softer dependencies). AspectJ cannot binary weave
some of these applications. The question is:
1. Does the compiler need to resolve the class just to exclude it or is
this a bug?
2. Could the current error be converted to a configurable Lint error?

Thanks

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/

Back to the top