Re: [aspectj-dev] Using pointcuts for Inter-Type Declarations

I don't know about the history (and I suspect you've heard these reasons already), but to me, pointcuts pick out join points, not types, and they should behave as if they are evaluated at runtime. Further, since 1.1 a nice property of member ITD's is that they have a single type at declare time. (To compile an an inter-type declaration requires it have a single type; otherwise, the weaver would have to know how to compile for each type.) Finally, it seems like tag interfaces can do what you ask, so there's something of a workaround.

Long ago Adrian (et al) proposed named scopes, which might make something like type patterns reusable.

Wes

Matthew Webster wrote:

Unfortunately there is no equivalent of "users.zip" for aspectj-dev so I an
unable to discover the history of this feature. The question I have is why
ITDs, especially declare parents, do not use a type-based pointcut (as
proposed for the pertype clause) instead of anonymous patterns. This would
enable ITDs to exploit abstract pointcuts in the way advice does thereby
facilitating the creation of library aspects.

Thanks

Matthew Webster
AOSD Project
Java Technology Centre, MP146
IBM Hursley Park, Winchester,  SO21 2JN, England
Telephone: +44 196 2816139 (external) 246139 (internal)
Email: Matthew Webster/UK/IBM @ IBMGB, matthew_webster@xxxxxxxxxx
http://w3.hursley.ibm.com/~websterm/