Re: [aperi-dev] Problems and doubts about Aperi SRM and San Simulator

Hi Amudhan,

A workaround/hack you can try to simulate multiple CIM agents from a single
machine and discover all the devices through Aperi SRM.

1. Install SAN Simulator for two storage subsystems (e.g. at
c:\SAN_Simulator_SS using the DB repository SIMDB.)
2. Install SAN Simulator for fiber channel switch (e.g. at
c:\SAN_Simulator_SW using the same DB repository SIMDB as in Step-1)
3. Start the CIMOM for storage subsystems installed in Step-1 at port 5988
4. Register Storage Subsystem CIMOM to Aperi SRM with IP, Port=5988,
Protocol=HTTP, Namespace=/root/ibm. Complete the Discovery and Probe
5. Stop the Storage Subsystem CIMOM. Start the CIMOM for FC Switch
installed in Step-2 at port 5988. Tunnel it thru another port e.g. 5999.
You can use the tunnel that comes with soap.jar or any such utility to
tunnel and redirect the traffic.
6. Register FC Switch CIMOM to Aperi SRM with IP, Port=5999, Protocol=HTTP,
Namespace=/root/brocade. Complete the Discovery and Probe

regards,
Craig Laverone, Ramani R. Routray

             Ramani R
             Routray/Almaden/I
             BM@IBMUS                                                   To
             Sent by:                  Aperi Development
             aperi-dev-bounces         <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             @eclipse.org                                               cc
                                       aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx,
                                       aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
             04/28/2008 01:38                                      Subject
             PM                        Re: [aperi-dev] Problems and doubts
                                       about Aperi SRM and San Simulator

             Please respond to
             Aperi Development
             <aperi-dev@eclips
                  e.org>

Hi Amudhan,

Yes, it is possible to simulate multiple devices using SAN Simulator in a
single machine. Multiple devices of same type can be simulated easily (e.g.
two Storage Devices in a single machine). But, to have two storage devices
and a switch on a single machine with one repository (SIMDB database), you
need to have two different SAN Simulator installation roots (to have their
individual MOF compiled).  Multiple simulated CIM agents can not run on
different ports because Sun WBEM allows it to run on port 5988 only. In
this mechanism, only one simulated CIM agent can be up and running at any
given point of time.

Aperi Storage Manager can not add multiple CIMOMs with same (IP, Port,
Protocol) - so it can not discover all of them.

Here are some the options that might be of help:

1) Using current SAN Simulator 0.1, install SAN Simulator twice on two
different installation roots using the same SIMDB. At any give point of
time, only one simulated CIM agent can be up and running. Aperi can not add
CIMOM and discover this configuration.
2) You can modify the Sun WBEM source to make the port 5988 configurable
and run it from different port on same machine.

regards,
Ramani R. Routray
IBM Almaden Research Center

             "Amudhan
             Gunasekaran"
             <amudhan.gg@gmail                                          To
             .com>                     aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             aperi-dev-bounces
             @eclipse.org                                          Subject
                                       [aperi-dev] Problems and doubts
                                       about Aperi SRM and San Simulator
             04/28/2008 12:24
             PM

             Please respond to
             Aperi Development
             <aperi-dev@eclips
                  e.org>

Hi all,

Is it possible to simulate more than one device using SAN simulator in a
single machine? For example, if I want to simulate 2 storage devices and
one switch, could I simulate them in a single machine? If not, what are the
alternatives? If yes, could Aperi Storage Manager discover all of them?

Also, when I start Aperi (through C:\aperi\aperi.bat), the agent alone
throws an exception.

Exception in thread "Breadline" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
TSRMnovell in java.library.path
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibra
ry(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.aperi.agent.util.NetWareLoader.loadNetWare
(NetWareLoader.java:46)
        at org.eclipse.aperi.agent.probe.ExecProbe.exec(ExecProbe.java:191)
        at org.eclipse.aperi.agent.probe.InitialProbe.execute
(InitialProbe.java:29)
        at org.eclipse.aperi.agent.worker.Worker.run(Worker.java:61)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

What could be the possible solution?

Also, I got "Error compiling MOFs files!" error message in the final step
in creating a simulated device (when the progress was 40%). I followed this
thread: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/aperi-dev/msg00915.html . I
had Sun Java SDK 1.5 update 11. So, as mentioned in that thread, I
downloaded java EE 5 sdk update 4 and then set the C:\sun\sdk (also tried
c:\sun\sdk\jdk, c:\sun\sdk\jdk\jre) as JAVA_HOME and tried again, but the
same "Error compiling MOFs files" in the same 40% progress. What am I doing
wrong here?

Is it possible to get the details of the discovered san ids and luns with a
program\script without running Aperi Storage Manager GUI? If so, could you
please tell me how to do that, a program to get the details of discovered
switches and luns by Aperi.

Thanks in advance,
aperi-dev mailing list
aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx