Re: [aperi-dev] Aperi Flash Demos

Ah, the configuration utility! Great idea! I forgot all about that! Yeah, we should have a demo of that.

I was thinking of installing and configuring standalone data and fabric agents. There is some work to be done to get the system to find them...

Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM (dwolfe@xxxxxxxxxx) TL: 775-3376 Office: 503-578-3376 Personal: 503-329-3960

UI Technical Lead, Aperi Open Source Storage Management http://www.eclipse.org/aperi

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals." - Igor Stravinsky

Hans Lin/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/29/2007 09:59 AM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [aperi-dev] Aperi Flash Demos

The step " 5 : Install fabric agent, discover and probe" is redundant, the Aperi install will bring up fabric agent automatically.

I also like to see tape discovery/probe

It seems we can use the Configuration Utility feature of Aperi r0.3 to do the demo.

Hans H. Lin, Tivoli SAN Software Development
IBM San Jose, California
Phone: 408-284-4917, Fax: 408-256-8507
email: linh@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM@IBMUSDave Wolfe/Portland/IBM@IBMUS

Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/29/2007 07:48 AM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc

Subject

[aperi-dev] Aperi Flash Demos

So, if we were to produce a series of 5-7 minute flash demos on how to install and use Aperi what would they be? Which ones first?

Here's my stab:

1. Bare system to running GUI install on Linux
2. Bare system to running GUI install on Windows

3. Configure (pre-installed) CIMOM and run discovery/probe on a storage frame (no subnet scan, no SLP)
1. Show in topology, and disk manager views

4. Configure SNMP fabric switch and run discovery/probe
1. Show in topology, and fabric manager views

5. Install fabric agent, discover and probe
1. Show in topology, and fabric manager views

6. Configure/Discover and probe a NAS device
1. Show in topology and asset report views

7. Create volumes, assign ports to hosts on a storage frame

8. Create zones, assign hosts ports

9. View storage capacity reports (classic and/or BIRT?)

10. Customize and upload report via V0.3 BIRT report manager

Others? Different order? Refinements?