[aperi-dev] Two Birds w/one email: Report Viewer/Manager UI Walk-Through

Howdy All,

At today's Aperi design meeting we were discussing additional documentation that might be produced in support of Aperi users and developers.
I suggested producing some animated demos showing how to install and initially configure the product.
Recently, I produced a narrated power point slide show for the Report Viewer/Manager UI design. This was pretty good, but had a lot of Microsoftish drawbacks (bloated, requires M$ products to view, etc).
Craig L. suggested I try ViewletBuilder from Qarbon to build a flash demo.

So, coincidentally ...

I just finished coding the new UI for the Aperi Report Viewer/Manager and wanted to show folks how it turned out, but its not quite ready for checkin and general use (IP issues and technical complications w/app servers).
I used ViewletBuilder to put together a narrated flash animation walk-through of the new UI and I have placed it in the wiki.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Aperi/architecture#R3_Designs
The backend is still mostly stubbed out, but the primary functions (report viewing and uploading) work and are demonstrated.

Bird 1: Try ViewletBuilder (or equiv) to create flash demos: worked pretty good, much much much easier to use the PowerPoint for animated demos.
Bird 2: Get the new UI in front of folk so they can opine upon it: please take a look, its about 5 mins of video

Dave Wolfe/Portland/IBM (dwolfe@xxxxxxxxxx) TL: 775-3376 Office: 503-578-3376 Personal: 503-329-3960

GUI Technical Lead, Aperi Open Source Storage Management http://www.eclipse.org/aperi

"A good composer does not imitate; he steals." - Igor Stravinsky

Back to the top