Re: [aperi-dev] Checking Native Binaries into CVS

Pre-compiled binaries for Windows and Linux have been checked into CVS. They are available in the Aperi\bin directory. That directory has a README file containing the following text:

>>> BEGIN README CONTENT <<<
Last Modification: 2006-12-12

This directory contains pre-compiled native binaries. It exists to ease the pain associated with setting-up an Aperi development environment. At the moment, due to legal concerns, pre-compiled SNIA HBA API binaries are not available. However, they can easily be constructed by copying the code from SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=35200) into the Aperi/device/SNIA/commonAPI folder and using the Makefile in the linux subdirectory and/or the snia_dll.bat script in the win32 subdirectory. They may also be available via IBM AlphaWorks. The libhbaapi.so file should be placed in the linux-ix86 folder. The sniahbaapi.dll file should be placed in the w32-ix86 folder.

The contents of this folder should be updated whenever a change is made to Aperi native code. The first line of this file should always indicate the contents of this folder were modified.
>>> END README CONTENT <<<

All committers need to remember to keep the contents of the Aperi\bin folder current.

In addition to the pre-compiled binaries, the following two external tool configurations are now available: 'ResetDebugEnvironmentNoNativeCompile' and 'ResetDebugEnvironmentLinux'. Both configurations serve the same basic purpose as the original 'ResetDebugEnvironment' configuration. The 'ResetDebugEnvironmentNoNativeCompile' configuration is intended for use by Windows developers who wish to use the pre-compiled binaries present in CVS. The 'ResetDebugEnvironmentLinux' should be used to setup a workspace debug environment on Linux. It, too, leverages the pre-compiled binaries now available in CVS.

With the work done today, it is now fairly easy to get an Aperi development environment up and running on both Windows and Linux. I've attached a modified / simplified version of the Aperi Development Environment document, describing how to do so. If it meets the approval of the folks on the list, then I can go ahead and check it into CVS and / or post it on the Wiki. The document doesn't indicate how one can obtain SNIA HBA API binaries from IBM AlphaWorks. However, once doing so is possible, the document can be updated.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Khan Tasinga
IBM Tivoli Software Engineer / Aperi Development
Phone: (408) 284-5142 | T/L: 8-953-5142
Email: kmtasing@xxxxxxxxxx

Ted Slupesky/Portland/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/07/2006 04:28 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [aperi-dev] Checking Native Binaries into CVS

Good idea -- I'll add it to the agenda for Tuesday.

--
Ted Slupesky | Eclipse Aperi Project Lead | IBM: 349-5413 | External: (503) 820-3853

Khan M Tasinga/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: aperi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/07/2006 03:27 PM

Please respond to
Aperi Development <aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

aperi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[aperi-dev] Checking Native Binaries into CVS

Currently, native binary construction is cumbersome. For Windows, one must not only have access to MS Visual C++ 6.0, but also download the Windows DDK and MS Platform SDK. And we don't really have a good story in place for Linux. While we have a process in place that works for our nightly builds, its results don't seem easy to reproduce.

During an earlier development call, Marcus floated the notion of checking pre-built native binaries into CVS. I thought it was a pretty good idea. Our native binaries don't seem to change very often. And having the binaries in CVS might make it easier for interested developers to get up and running with our code.

Alternatively, once we start posting nightly builds, we can provide instructions on how to setup a development environment using the native binaries they contain.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe we can discuss this a bit in our next development call.