[alf-dev] A question regarding Eclipse, Jaxen and what you used instead

Hi,

I'm the Eclipse ALF Project Lead and we have an interest in using Axis2.  Axis 2, in turn, has a dependency on Jaxen, the XML Path walker; in particular, we believe both Axis 2 1.2 and 1.3 versions can use Jaxen-1.1.1, which is the current and best documented and attributed version.

All of the CQ's we collectively have submitted for Jaxen have been rejected by the Eclipse IP team; the key reason for rejection is an inability to establish that: "Jaxen asks candidates to confirm that they authored all the code they are contributing, explicitly grant their consent to release their code as open source under the BSD license, and that to the best of their knowledge they possess all the rights to do so".

So I would be interested in learning:
1. Whether you contacted the Jaxen team (or Bob McWhirter, James Strachan, and the Werken company, ...) or otherwise attempted to resolve the IP issue?
            If so, what did you learn?
2. Have you found a suitable replacement for Jaxen?
           If so, what is it and what changes were required in your code that used XPath processing?
3. Given Eclipse's adoption of runtime environments (SOA in particular), do any of your projects anticipate using Axis2?
           If so, what are you planning to do about the dependency on Jaxen?

I've made some initial inquiries and I'm planning on pursuing this further with Apache and the Jaxen team. I would be interested in learning what you have found, knowing whether you are still interested in Jaxen, and whether you have found a replacement XPath processor.  Le me know your level of interest and I'll be happy to share whatever we find.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

   Brian Carroll | Eclipse ALF Project Lead | Serena Fellow
   (O) (503) 617-2436 (C) (503) 318-2017

Serena Software - The Mashups are here!

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.