RE: [alf-dev] Article about BPEL

Hi Daniel,

It is important to remember that Eclipse is not a standards body.
Eclipse prefers the notion of an "exemplar" - basically working code -
and therefore does not set a standard but rather shows how something
could be accomplished while leaving open the possibility of implementing
it another way.

A focus of ALF is on interoperability and that does require agreement
among the communicating entities, so ALF is defining a set of exemplar
vocabularies for a variety of domains involved in the application
development lifecycle.  Your phrase of "workable and viable
interface[s]" describes it quite well, but ALF does not set standards.

>From a practical perspective, we see a lot of insight and thought in the
form of input from interested vendors going into the vocabularies, and
if someone wanted to take the ALF vocabulary and ALF component
interfaces through a standards process such as OASIS or the OMG (Eclipse
IP rules permitting), then the contributions of the ALF would not be a
bad place to start.

Glad you are still participating,
Regards,
Brian