Re: [alf-dev] Article about BPEL

Hello Tim,

It appears to me from your respond that the actual objective of designing ALF is to obtain a standardized set of WSDL interfaces (structure + behavior + vocabulary), which should guide the implementation of systems, which enact service flows amongst Enterprise application development tools. In this sense one prime objective of the ALF framework appears to become a ALM standard, and designing the ALF framework means coming up with workable and viable interface standards, that applications and execution engines can adhere to.

Can you agree to that observation?

thank you,

Daniel

p.s. BTW, I am still following the ALF project for my research ... just more in the background ...

Tim Buss wrote:
Thanks Mark,

Here is some commentary.

BPEL was chosen for ALF because a) it is a cross platform standard for
aggregating web services, b) it addresses a lot of the common issues
necessary to coordinate disparate web services, c) it is designable, and
d) there is some momentum behind it as far as the availability of
designers and execution engines.

That said, the ALF design does not require BPEL to be the implementation
of a Service Flow.  In fact a service flow could be implemented in any
language that can be deployed as a web service.  The key point is to
have a runtime definition where the interfaces are all described by
WSDL.  This should allow ALF to be deployed in a variety of ways on a
variety of platforms.
BPMN is a design description.  It is not a execution language.  While it
may be possible to design an ALF application using BPMN there would
still be the issue of how to deploy it.

Tim