From: alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Matthew Laudato
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 12:20 PM
To: alf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [alf-dev] ALF Infrastructure redux

Greetings,

You may recall that we at AccuRev, in addition to Richard's contribution to the SCM vocab effort, are building our own demo of ALF technology.

The first phase was mostly successful, in that we can get the Event Manager to behave.  We've made some hard coded edits to the EM code to launch some BPEL workflows that we've developed.  These are along the lines of the POC, but tailored to what we have available to us (since the POC code is apparently still off limits...).

My next step is to get the ALFPlugin and editors for Eclipse building and running, so that we can attempt to configure the service flows and event maps in the most ALFish way.

So, I can get the code to build, after doing several things:

0. Downloading from the CVS repository:
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/home/technology checkout org.eclipse.alf

This as most of you know, gives you everything currently associated with ALF.

1. Separating the plugin/editor specific code from the core EM code.  By this I mean created separate directory structures and Eclipse projects for these two items.  This is appropriate I think, since one is an eclipse plugin and one is a service and imho need to be separated in order to build and deploy properly. (NOTE:  these really should be separated in CVS, OR, one of the committers should take some time to fix what is currently in CVS so that it builds out-of-the-box.  Since I am not a committer, the best I can do is post my notes on what I have had to do in order to get things to build, in the hope of helping others.)

2. Fixing the problems in the distribution, including:
* Adding org.eclipse.core.resources, org.eclipse.core.resources.win32, and org.eclipse.ui.editors to the build path.
* Downloading JDOM and adding it to my build path.

At this point, something resembling a successful build was possible.  However, I can't seem to deploy the plugin, the editors, or any of what I built.  I was expecting to restart eclipse and be able to create a new project type, or a new file type, or have a new perspective available.  None of these appear to be true.

SO, are there any tips out there from the authors as to how to properly build and deploy the plugin/editors?

ALSO, in reading back over the archives, there are several references to getting the WSDL and XSDs out of the architecture documents and available for easy download.  Has there been any progress on this?  Our next next step is to modify AccuRev so that it emits ALF events.  It would be nice to have WSDL and XSD files easily available.

Thanks,

- matt

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Back to the top