From: alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mark Phippard
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:36 AM
To: ALF Developer Mailing List
Subject: Re: [alf-dev] SCM Workspace discussion

I think that we should focus on A as that is the only one I think is
realistic.  I think it is worth nothing that B3 and A are really the
same thing.  It is just that in B3 you are using an SCM tool that has
more capabilities.  But they are the same in as much as the SCM
capabilities are dictating the features available to the user.

The point I raised in the meeting is that the ramification of scenario A
is simply that the SCM service would have to be potentially running on
multiple servers.  The reason I do not think this is an issue is that:

a)  these servers would all likely have a Web services container running
anyway, because the scenario involved here is that something like a
Build service is running on multiple computers.

b) If you implement B1 or B2 some service has to be running on these
servers anyway to receive the files.  It seems like it would be less
overhead to ask an SCM service running on that system to populate a
workspace then it would be to ask an SCM service on another system to
populate a workspace, and then have some second process bundle up that
workspace and ship it off again to another system.

Finally, I still think that the scope of B1 or B2 would be way too
ambitious for this project.  I also think it has very real security
ramifications.  You are essentially saying you would have some service
that could grab a somewhat arbitrary set of files/folders and then
deliver them to another system.  If the service is just going to use
something like FTP or rsync to do this, then I would say we already have
that covered.  Didn't the POC develop a service that would essentially
let you run a script/program on the server?  If so, then someone could
just have a script to do the transfer and use the service to run that.

I think that scenario A just makes the most sense.  Remember, we are
really just setting a baseline set of features here.  Individual
products are always free to provide services that can do more.  For
example, I worked on an interface once from my product to Serena
Dimensions.  And I recall that it had the ability to checkout to what it
called a "Tertiary Node",  Meaning the client on system A talking to
Dimensions server on system B could do a checkout that caused files to
be delivered to system C.  Assuming that is true, then the ALF Service
that Serena provides for Dimensions could expose that capability.
Someone running a CVS or SVN ALF service would only be able to populate
a workspace on a filesystem that was directly accessible to the ALF
service it provides.  In the worst case you just run this service on
multiple systems which is no different than installing the command line
client on multiple systems as you would have already done.

Mark

alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/25/2006 01:13:44 PM:

> SCM usually involves a client that controls some local storage. Tools
> operate on this local storage. In ALF, the service flow may initiate a
get
> (fex) but it doesn't control any local storage and we do not want to
stream
> file content through BPEL. We need a workspace service that can
> provide storage for the get (fex) that the SCM can be instructed to
> get to and
tools
> can be instructed to access to obtain the file content. There are a
number
> of models for this.
> A) ALF specifies a standard SCM client service. Participating SCMs
implement
> this service around their existing client. This client service must
> run
in a
> place where it can materialize files to a file system that can be
accessed
> by a particular tool (build system fex). ALF can call this service to
> perform a get for a build tool.
> B1) ALF provides a common Storage service that provides a variety of
storage
> access methods (file share, ftp, other). Alf will ask the Storage
service to
> perform the get.  The Storage service will wrap SCM clients (possibly
> by

> providing a plugin service provider interface mode) to perform the
actuall
> get.  Tools would be told of the existence of the storage service
> (configuration or operation argument) and be able to negotiate access
the