RE: [alf-dev] SCM Workspace discussion

alf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 05/25/2006 02:30:21 PM:

> If we go with A then we still need to figure out how we coordinate the
> file location with the tool or tools that need to access it.  The system
> needs to be configured so that the tool service and the SCM client
> service share a file system.  It could be a local path or a shared file
> path depending on the preference of the ALF application designer dn the
> requirements of the scnario.  Possibly the SCM client service is
> configued with a root storage area from which it can dispense folders
> allowing more than one "workspace".  The service flow can request one,
> the service can return the path as a string, which ALF can give then
> give to the tool.  The string is essentially an opaque "workspace" ID to
> ALF.

Why wouldn't the SCM "get" service just accept (among other things) a
string literal that is the path to "get files to".  Such as "C:\workspace"

And then the Build service perhaps accepts (among other things) a string
literal that points to the same source location. Such as "C:\workspace".

I am sure there are some good reasons to make this more advanced, but
perhaps you can explain them?  Let's say you are doing nightly builds and
you want the path to be "C:\workspace\N20060425".  It seems like it would
make more sense that there be some code that runs in ALF or the service
flow that creates this value and then just hands the string to the SCM and
Build service.  Rather than those services needing to provide such a
service.

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.