Re: [albireo-dev] component creation protocol: allow for some hooks

Bruno Haible wrote:

If we don't catch them and print them, Display.asyncExec will catch them
silently, i.e. sweep them under the carpet. More precisely, the exception
will only be visible if
  - the application/ run configuration is configured to contain the
    "Error Log" view, and
  - the user opens the "Error Log" view, looks at the "Unhandled event loop
    exception", clicks on menu item "Event Details".

Most importantly, they'll also be visible in the error log file which is more likely to get analyzed later than stdout. This is true whether or not the error log view is configured.

By letting the exception pass through, it will get handled in a standard and consistent way by the containing application. Maybe the catch should be removed entirely?

I don't think asyncExec catches exceptions silently. It does wrap them in a SWTException, though. (And I must admit they use a catch of Throwable :-)).

Back to the top