Re: [albireo-dev] component creation protocol: allow for some hooks

Hi Gordon,

> I like this idea.

Thanks.

> Just one minor question: would it be better to catch Exception rather
> than Throwable? I'm always a little cautious (perhaps too cautious :-))
> about catching Throwable. The examples I like to use are
> OutOfMemoryError and NoClassDefFoundError. Do we really want to catch
> them and just continue?

If we don't catch them and print them, Display.asyncExec will catch them
silently, i.e. sweep them under the carpet. More precisely, the exception
will only be visible if
  - the application/ run configuration is configured to contain the
    "Error Log" view, and
  - the user opens the "Error Log" view, looks at the "Unhandled event loop
    exception", clicks on menu item "Event Details".

But most often one does not think at looking there, or the "Error Log" view
is not present at all, and so the most important errors get unnoticed.

OK, we said that all behaviours that are not default Eclipse/AWT behaviours
should be customizable. I'll make is customizable.

Bruno

Back to the top