Re: [albireo-dev] thoughts on API, options

Todd Williams wrote:
This is a problem if we want to support standalone SWT (non-RCP)
applications. And I assume that we *do* want to support them.

Do we?  Is anyone using straight SWT + Swing together outside of an RCP
application?  I know we're not.  Are SAS and ILOG?  Anyone else?

We have at least one newsgroup participant who is not using RCP.

http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.technology.albireo/msg00032.html

What I'm simply trying to do is make the problem as simple as possible, but
not simpler. ;-)  So, if we can say the context is Eclipse RCP applications
on Windows, Linux, and Mac then I think the problem gets much easier.

Right now, it is arguably simpler to keep the set of dependencies very small. For example, no RCP dependency makes automated testing easier. Code examples and bug reporting snippets are also simpler to create.

IMO, a nicer way to specify options doesn't seem reason enough to add the (large) RCP dependency. If we find more justification to add it later, we can still do it. (If and when this happens, I suggest that the RCP code be designed as an optional layer on top of the non-RCP code.)

Back to the top