RE: [ajdt-dev] AspectJ 1.6.4 released

Nice going guys.  The before and after results say it all!

On the weaving performance and memory front, has any of the following been done:

-          Using tools from AMD and Intel to look at CPU level issues?

-          Are any optimised collection implementations used (e.g. trove has perf and memory footprint issues), or have they been experimented with?

-          Hand compression of known memory hoggers?

When I was looking at how big an index we could build in memory within a normal 32-bit JRE for the Whirlwind fuzzy matching engine, I found that implementing alternate compressed versions of the attribute maps gave not only the memory savings I wanted, but a notable speedup.  It was memory I/O bound.

Another question on the weaving performance.  If we weave one method of a large class (hopefully a rare case), is the whole class always woven, or can the ClassLoader supply the JVM with part implementations.

If the JVM is a limitation, we ought to chase John Rose at Sun, as he’s looking at where the JVM gets in the way, with the MLVM project.

Cheers,

Neale