Re: [ajdt-dev] Visualization of precedence

Mik, I love this mock-up.  (I would especially love
to be able to draw directly on Eclipse with a fuzzy
red pen!)

Of course it made me think of obvious questions I'd ask
at that join point shadow.  Perhaps if I or other
people have different use-cases, that might inform
your {UI} design...

For control flow, any exception thrown, and any around
advice that might not call proceed() or which closes over it.
I guess also whether and what the dynamic tests were.

For data flow, any context shared by advice.

That would enable me to answer questions like:

- if I use illegal input, will it be logged before
  being corrected?

- why is this running outside the control flow I expect?

I see two ways in the UI, annotations or filters.
The filters could be a menu or pane generated on the fly for
a given join point showing the cflow or dflow attributes
to query.  Then I could hide advice that wasn't relevant
to my question or update each advice display to show
relevant context.

Of course, it's join points all the way down, so there's
no reason to limit this single-join-point precedence views.
You could do this as a query over the whole application
(statically or at runtime in a debugger) using something
like (but more usable than) JQuery/JaRuBy.  Is that where
you're heading?

Wes

Mik Kersten wrote:
(trying to re-send, for some reason this didn't get through yesterday)

I've heard this question has come up quite frequently, so yes, we are aware
that the tools need to show advice ordering at a join point.  We're in the
process of designing UIs that are better at showing these and other dynamic
properties of crosscutting.  We'll be soliciting mailing list feedback on
those UI designs.
I've attached an example.  It's not quite ready for public consumption, but
should give you an idea.  This mock-up uses indentation to indicate a total
or partial ordering on the advice (adjacent nodes at the same level would
indicate arbitrary execution order).  Elizabeth's suggestion of using color
bars is another option.  Note that we will also need a link to any "declare
precedence" declaration that has an influence on the order.
Mik

_____