[ajdt-dev] AJDT 0.5.1 available - supports aspects across multiple projects

Doh! We posted the 0.5.1 binary to eclipse.org/ajdt last week, but forget
to post here and tell you all about it.

See http://www.eclipse.org/ajdt and click on "Documentation" for details of
changes in this release.

With this version, it is also now possible to use aspects across multiple
projects (for example, to have an aspect library project, and another
project that depends on it). Here's how to setup such a configuration:

* Create "My Aspect Library" project as normal.
* Create "My FooBar Project" as normal.

*From the properties pane for "My FooBar Project" select "Java Build Path"
and then the "Projects" tab. Add the "My Aspect LIbrary" project. That will
put the aspect library classes into the build path for the FooBar project.

However, AspectJ requires the aspect source for compilation, so a further
configuration step is required (we plan to eliminate/ease this next step in
a future build):

* Create a new build configuration file for "My FooBar Project" using the
wizard (e.g. "foobar_with_lib.lst")
* Close the editor that opens for the foobar_with_lib.lst file.
* Open the context menu for foobar_with_lib.lst file in the packages view,
and select "Open With... text editor"
* Edit the file to add entries for the aspects in the library project e.g.
"..\My Aspect Library\com\ibm\amc\Tracer.java," one on each line
* Save the file and close the editor
* (You can now use "Open with... Build Config Editor" on
foobar_with_lib.lst to restore the tree view for config file editing)
* Build the project and run as normal.

Known problems in the 0.5.1 release:
* Working with multiple projects not located under the workspace directory
may cause classpath problems - this should be fixed in 0.5.2
* We broke the problem markers that appear in the editor margin for
warnings and errors whilst fixing the rebuild all behaviour. This will be
fixed in CVS imminently, and working again in the 0.5.2 release - together
with margin markers indicating where a source file is advised by aspects.

-- Adrian.
AJDT Development Team.

Back to the top