[aether-users] aether resolution going remote independent of update policy

Sorry... sent the mail out incomplete. Here's the complete version:

Well... here's the real thing: I am using aether to resolve and retrieve artifacts from maven repositories. In generally that works well. I need to repeatedly check for updates on artifacts and dependencies starting from some roots.

I configure either with regular remote repositories (parsed from a settings.xml file).

In many cases, when everything has resolved before and according to policies, there is no need to go remote and the resolution returns quickly. If there is anything in the dependency chain that cannot be resolved, it seems aether keeps trying every time, completely regardless of the update policy.

For example, in http://central.maven.org/maven2/

org.springframework:spring-aop:jar:4.0.2.RELEASE

has an optional compile dependency onto

com.jamonapi:jamon:2.4

which cannot be resolved. Instead of noting that this is a dead-end and only check again at some later point in time, every resolution attempt will look for some remote artifact again.

Is that the expected behavior?

Henning Blohm

ZFabrik Software KG

T: +49 6227 3984255