Re: [aether-users] Issues with Aether and Native Proxy Settings

Looping discussion about [0] through aether-user list for general consumption.

Marcel Bruch wrote:

What kind of proxy server is being connected to and what auth scheme is it using, e.g. some NTLM flavor?

I can’t say. The user that reported that issue has no clue. He said that the proxy settings are detected automatically and that he never specified a password (if he remembers correctly). If this is important I have to contact their administrators.

To eliminate guess work about potential causes, it would be good to get a clear statement about the employed proxy auth. After all, having a solid understanding of the situation is generally helpful in trying to find a solution.

The fact that he's using Windows and "never specified a password" suggests to me that NTLM is involved. As per [0], "On Microsoft Windows platforms, NTLM authentication attempts to acquire the user credentials from the system without prompting the user's authenticator object." Obviously, this requires native code support and refers to the JRE's HTTP client, not Java HTTP clients in general.

What version of Aether are you using and what HTTP library is being used?

org.eclipse.m2e.maven.runtime v1.4.0.20130531_xxx which internally uses Aether 1.13.1
com.ning.async-http-client v1.6.5

Is that the information you asked for?

Yes.

E.g. I'm not sure whether the old aether-connector-asynchttpclient was ever successfully used with NTLM proxies.

Well, this is an interesting question I’d like to know more about. How can I test this - or: does the new (eclipse) aether support NTLM?

Recent Eclipse Aether versions employ Apache HttpClient 4.2.x as HTTP library. According to [2], Apache HttpClient generally supports NTLM/NTLMv2 and has been battle-tested in practice.

Other than finding yourself a NTLM proxy to connect to, I don't see how you can test the aether-connector-asynchttpclient with it. Maybe Google knows something about the NTLM support in v1.6.5, I'm simply over-asked in this regard.

At any rate, the username+password will have to be provided to Aether/HttpClient, it doesn't have native hooks into the OS to get those magically (though the username could probably be assumed to be the sys prop user.name by the app).

Benjamin

[0] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1265053/#msg_1265053
[1] http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/net/http-auth.html
[2] http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client-4.2.x/ntlm.html