[aether-users] organizational questions (release, dependencies, future plans)

Hi,

I'm quite new to Aether, and while I have managed to get it running, I have a couple of organizational questions:

1) Release: There is/was a 0.9.0 release announced for June 2012. However, there is no download available at Eclipse, and also at Maven Central there is no org.eclipse.aether to be found. Instead, all I found is the "old" sonatype aether. Is there a new release date planned, or is it simply undefined? This also includes the question for a P2 update site -- is it planned, and if, when?

2) Dependencies: Fortunately, the old sonatype aether stuff is already released as part of the m2e project. This project also contains the Maven Indexer. However, as I only need Aether and the Indexer, I would appreciate a separate release. Also, the m2e project seems to depend on org.slf4j.api, which is not included in the m2e feature itself. Even worse, it seems as if a rather new version of org.slf4j is required (1.6.4), which is only included in the latest orbit drop. Is it possible to make Aether/Indexer more self-contained? E.g., by adding slf4j to a runtime plugin similar to the m2e runtime plugin?

3) Aether and the Indexer both rely on Plexus, and with Sisu another DI project exists (which seems to include a Plexus/Guice adapter). On http://wiki.eclipse.org/Aether/Setting_Aether_Up , JSR-330 support is described as "This feature is specific to Eclipse Aether. It is primarily mentioned as a teaser for the upcoming milestone release." I'm quite confused by these different solutions and the announcement. What are the plans for Aether/Indexer regarding this issue? And how to I set up Aether/Indexer best when used by my own plugins?

4) Aether can "only" retrieve artifacts from a given repository, including an artifact transitive dependencies. IMHO, an abstract repository API requires at least two functions: retrieving single artifacts _and_ browsing/querying the repository. The latter can be achieved by using the Maven Indexer. Consequentially the m2e project contains both libraries, aether and the indexer. However, when using an abstract API for querying artifacts, I do not want to break the design by using a Maven specific indexer. Are there any plans to "include" the indexer to the Aether project, of course in conjunction with an abstract Aether-like API for querying the repository?

Regards,
Jens

Back to the top