[xtext-dev] Xtext 2.12 and Other Stuff

Hi,

Xtext 2.12 has been scheduled for May 26th in order to participate in the Oxygen simultaneous release [1]. The Oxygen RC1 build starts this Friday, May 19th, so we should do the release build this week. I’ll create release branches today or tomorrow. I already prepared a page for release notes [2].

Now that 2.12.0 is just around the corner, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to release a 2.11.1 version. If nobody objects, I will remove the old maintenance branches and respective GitHub milestones (of course I’ll check whether there’s anything to merge back to master first).

For 2.11 we went the path of creating maintenance branches right after the release and applying bug fixes to those branches. I had documented this process in [3]. For the future, I propose to simplify the process by not creating any maintenance branches, but to prepare service releases as soon as we see the need for them instead. That means that we can contribute all fixes to the master branch and cherry-pick them to the maintenance release branch where necessary. I’ll update the release process documentation accordingly.

We omitted xtext-idea from the 2.11 release, and we have to omit it again from 2.12 since there are no substantial contributions [4]. I think we should remove that project from the build process as long as nobody is interested in maintaining it. That would reduce the effort of making releases a bit. We should also state clearly in that project’s README that it is currently not active.

There’s a new chat room for Xtext [5]. This one is more transparent to the community than the previous Slack channel, so we should move to it.

Cheers
  Miro

--
Dr. Miro Spönemann
Software engineer and consultant

TypeFox GmbH
Am Germaniahafen 1, 24143 Kiel

Tel.: +49 151 42679459

Sitz: Kiel, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Kiel, HRB 17385
Geschäftsführer: Sven Efftinge, Moritz Eysholdt, Dr. Jan Köhnlein

Back to the top