[wtp-dev] [sourceediting] Ideas on merging sourceediting repo

Hey all:

The source editing component has 5 different repositories. It would be much nicer as one, in terms of building, locating the code, setting up releng, etc. But, the component is quite large.

I'm not sure merging everything into one normal component folder is a good idea: there's 51 plugin bundles, not including tests, features, docs, etc.

In JBossTools (and I believe Dali has a similar structure), we've played around with some large repos having a folder structure as follows:

repo_root:
   common:
           |-  bundles
           |-  tests
           |-  features
   xpath:
           |-  bundles
           |-  tests
           |-  features
   xsl:
           |-  bundles
           |-  tests
           |-  features

Is this a structure that would work for source-editing?  Or is one gigantic repo preferable?

To be clear why we're trying to merge repos, I'd like to re-iterate that the eventual goal is to have a minimum number of jobs (common, server, jsdt, sourceediting, jee, webservices, jsf, dali) with a proper dependency heirarchy between the major repos.

So any feedback here would be much appreciated

- Rob Stryker

Back to the top