Re: [virgo-dev] Virgo deployment

Hi Borislav,

On 1/18/2011 12:39 PM, Борислав Капукаранов wrote:
Hi Scott,

You got it right. We are indeed trying to enable p2 provisioning for Virgo, so that you could install Virgo from scratch or provision Virgo on top of an existing Equinox using p2. The part with the launcher is mostly involved to enable the whole p2 stuff in the first place, by removing fixed startup order dependencies, and to give Virgo more flexibility - it should not depend on a specific launcher. That would enable for example proper usage of simple configurator.

Are you looking to provision ECF on top of Virgo using p2?

Basically, yes. ECF has a number of APIs relevant in a server environment...e.g. presence/im, filetransfer, discovery, wave/sync, replicated object API, rest...but our most directly relevant API for server usage is probably our impl of the OSGi 4.2 remote services and remote service admin specifications (chap 13 and chap 122). We already have several consumers that have inquired about running our remote services impls alongside Spring/Virgo...as they are complimentary...and we would like to provide them with a clear install/deployment path to do so. ECF remote services/rsa is already available in the form of sets of features...installable via p2...so Virgo's efforts here should make this very easy for consumers interested in using both together.

Thanks. I was just making sure my interpretation of what seemed to be going on with Virgo was correct.

Scott

Back to the top