[virgo-dev] Tracing and Windows Build Performance

Following on from the work that Glyn did on logging and tracing to improve performance, I have been tracking slow Windows builds for the Web repository.

I have discovered that what used to be in-memory tracing (for dump contributions and service diagnostics) was now coming out as INFO-level tracing in the log.log files.  When a lot of web resources were being accessed in the multiple tests in the web repository integration build, gigabytes of log entries were being written (in a circular set of 5 log files maintained by logback).

We have therefore re-visited the (medic-woven) Entry and Exit tracing levels and decided to 'promote' them to DEBUG level (or higher) only.  This has reduced a Windows build of web from an hour to about 7 minutes.  It also means that most of the other builds are running a (small) bit faster, too.  With the default level of logging set to INFO, the kernel and the server will now improve in performance a little bit.

It turns out that there is very little documentation (if any) about the Entry and Exit tracing that medic weaves in. So I have added a section to the Virgo wiki Diagnostics page which describes it:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Virgo/Diagnostics#Entry_and_Exit_tracing

Please feel free to contribute/correct this.

Regards,
Steve Powell
[W:+44-2380-111-528; M: +44-7815-838-558; H:+44-1962-775-598]

Cannelloni n. A narrow boat for one. [SPD]
Verisimilitude adj. Extremely evenly masticated. [SPD]
Decrepit v. To muck-out Royal stables. [SPD]

Back to the top