Re: Classloading command [was Re: [virgo-dev] Classloading & Inner frameworks supportability commands]

Hi Hristo

I think it is reasonable to add your commands to the Equinox console at the same level as the vsh command rather than as subcommands of vsh. Let me explain why.

There is quite a bit of infrastructure, mostly in the kernel shell bundle, supporting the vsh Equinox command and the old kernel shell commands as subcommands of vsh. The advantage of turning your commands into subcommands of vsh would be that if we were ever to resurrect the kernel shell, then your commands would immediately be available there. However it is not clear that the kernel shell will ever be resurrected in anything like its original form. The current direction is to improve the Equinox console so we don't need to resurrect the kernel shell.

However it would still be worth structuring your commands as a UI piece providing the Equinox console command and a JMX interface providing the actual function. Then the actual function could be used from other user interfaces such as the admin console and any 3rd party management tools which might come along.

Looking in jconsole, it seems you have already started to do that with the FrameworkInfoCommand and com.sap.core.supportability.tools mbeans and so all you need to do is make sure all the function of your commands is available via your mbeans.

Is that clear? We can discuss this on tomorrow's Virgo community call if you like.

Glyn